This is the first pair of board shorts we've had, so I can't compare. I did some research on several other brands...
- It seems the lace-up front is fairly common.
- I find the fly area to be somewhat mysterious. It has a piece of mesh sewn on both sides, so there's no actual direct access through the fly. That material stretches quite a bit, so you can unlace it and pull it open about 3", with about another 1" if you stretch it.
If one wore these at Thanksgiving, I could understand that. When the laces are fully extended, it lets the uh man part come out, but there's not much difference if "it" goes under the laces or over the laces. One could just lower the waistband a bit and have the same effect with a lot less fuss.
Out of a dozen brands I looked at, I couldn't find a pic or any text about it, so I just don't understand it. He says it's not very comfy to go under the laces (not bad, just awkward), so we don't know if that's unusual to the brand. (pix below, but they can take 2-4+ days to show up after the review). I'm not taking a star off for it because one can just ignore it easily and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
- Machine wash cold, do not bleach, do not tumble dry, do not iron, do not dry clean. Wash and dry separately, inside out. Rinse after use. "Transparency may occur when wet". Line dry.
- Made in China
- waist band has no stretch at all, but seat and legs have a fair bit
- Waist band is 1.75"
- A single pocket on right side leg. Velcro closure all along the flap. Has a strong cable loop inside, I assume for attaching keys or such. Does not have drain holes, but inside lining is mesh so drains fine.
- No inside lining at all, no undies, no support. Totally commando. My guy didn't care for that, and it seems to be that generally this kind of thing is worn for activity so having some support should be expected. I took a star off for it.
Don't forget to use the Smile.Amazon.com address - It's an Amazon program where many things you buy every day will generate a small donation to the charity of your choice. Read about it here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/ref=smi_se_rspo_laas_aas